Tuesday, June 9, 2009


Pool boy??

I've been talking about weston, our youth pastor, leaving for awhile. Over the past 6 months the search for the new youth pastor has begun, ensued and as of last weekend finally come to end. Though I was not involved in the selection, from initial interviews to even being able to voice an opinion about the final decision (which was hard because I'm super involved and someone new means huge change for me as well as the kids) I glad that it's finally over. I'm also glad to announce that the new youth pastor will be non-other than lancasters own Jamie Sensenig.

I know some of you (all probably, unless you were of the few who heard me talk of it) are wondering "how the heck???" and rightly so. So I'll give a brief synopsis of the (long) story of how this can to pass...

This whole decision actually started 2.5 years ago... for real. The Sensenigs came to California to celebrate Jamie's 30th birthday. While here Jamie and my dad became fast friends. It was then (or so I'm told by my dad) that Jamie first shared his heart for youth and youth ministry with my dad. It was also then, after Jamie left, that I heard my dad say that Jamie would make a great youth pastor.

Fast forward 1 year- Jamie and Jason did me the HUGE favor of driving my belongs across the country. Again, Jamie and my dad spent time talking about life and Jamie's increasing desire to be in youth ministry. This time Jamie and my dad stayed in contact. After this visit I heard my dad say that he was "watching and waiting to see how God worked, and what doors God would open to bring Jamie out."

Over the course of the next few months, Weston made it clear that he was being called to serve elsewhere, specifically in urban ministry and was beginning to seek out opportunities to move in that direction. Shortly after christmas, Weston informed my dad and close friends that he was not going to be youth pastor the following (this coming) school year, and made it official by handing in his resignation.

My dad, who makes tri-yearly trips to PA and who had kept in touch with Jamie, made plans to out to breakfast with Jamie while in PA early February. I don't know much about that meeting except that when my dad came home he told me that Jamie would be coming to winter camp at the end of the month to counsel as a trial run. It was also at this time that it was decreed by all parties involved (and I think several foreign governments) that, though I was/am extremely involved in youth group that I would not be given information nor be asked for opinions in the matter due to my friendship with Jamie. I GLADLY agreed.

Jamie flew in for a short, but really busy weekend. During the weekend, Jamie had his first interview with some elders of the church as well as meetings with different people and spent a long sleepless weekend with some rowdy kids in the mountains.

In the last 4 months, there have been countless interviews with candidates, some good, some bad, some qualified and some, well, not so qualified.


A week and a half ago, Jamie flew in for a second interview with the church board (elders), the youth team and some key parents at the request of my dad. It was long day of interviews with those who were being considered for the position. After the interviews, those involved in the decision making were asked to take a week a pray about the next step.

Thursday, before the week was over, each of the 'decision makers' had come back individually saying that they felt the Lords leading in inviting Jamie to come serve as youth minister- UNANIMOUSLY!!!!


Jamie accepted the position and will be moving the the great state of California in the beginning of July. CRAZY!!!!! And finally, I can talk about it!!!

4 Comments:

Jamie M. Sensenig said...

ha, ha, ha... It was killing you to not be able to talk about it. Hilarious.

Unknown said...

wow..congrats Jamie. that's wonderful news.

Dani said...

That is awesome! It took me a minute for it to register! LOL

Julie Garner said...

WOW! I realize this is old new by now, but it's the first time I'm checking your blog in awhile. (I miss you, by the way!) This is really, really cool!

Bethany...AGHH!!!!! I miss you, Friend!

Love you!
Julie