Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Welcome 2008!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! This year (month actually) is monumental to me- I turn 30! Though I feel no closer to being an adult then I did when I hit the other milestone birthday- 21, I am told that your 30's is where it all comes together.... here's hoping:-) To begin the official month celebration (that will continue until the 29th of January- My official b-day) I thought that I would post a song that I am considering my anthem for this year (no it's not "Baby Got Back" although that was a close second when I was deciding). If you have never actually listened to the song... I recommend it. Emphasis to lyrics mine... obviously.


I CHOOSE- India Arie
Here I am now looking at 30 and I got so much to say,
Gotta get this off my chest, I gotta lit it go today
I was always too concerned about what everybody would think
But I can't live for everybody; I gotta live my life for me
I've reached a fork in the road of my life
Ain't nothing gonna happen unless I decide
And I choose, to be the best that I can be
I choose to be authentic in everything I do
MY PAST DON'T DICTATE WHO I AM
I choose
I don' been through some painful times I thought I would never make it through
Filled up with shame from the top of my head to the soles of my shoes
I've put myself in so many chaotic circumstances
BUT BY THE GRACE OF GOD I'VE BEEN GIVEN SO MANY SECOND CHANCES
BUT TODAY I DECIDED TO LET IT ALL GO
I'M DROPPING THESE BAGS, I'M MAKING ROOM FOR MY JOY
Release the guilt about why things happen the way that they do
Cause life is gonna do what it do
And everyday I have the opportunity to choose
From this day forward, I'm going to be exactly who I am
I don't need to change the way I live my life just to get a man
I even had a talk with my mama and I told her today that I'm grown
From this day forward every decision I make is gonna be my own
I choose, to be the best that I can be
I choose to be courageous in everything I do
My past don't dictate who I am
I choose
I choose

6 Comments:

LauraJoy said...

That's one of my new faves too. I bought it on itunes as soon as I came home from our trip. I may be lookin at 31, but I love the thoughts behind that song!
Hope you're well. Let's talk soon :)
me

Unknown said...

happy birthday month! I've never heard that song, but it sounds good and i love the parts you emphasized.

<3,
Sara

LauraJoy said...

Oh my word I just saw your comment on my blog. I can't believe I didn't mention the new job either when we were chatting! Guess my mind was elsewhere....
By the way...you need to update ;)
luv ya
me

Julie Garner said...

Just popped on to say I love you!

Julie

Julie Garner said...

It's been 20+ days since you've paid attention to your blog...with birthday approaching and Lori in Cali...there must be some updates to give us, right?!

Love you!
Me

LauraJoy said...

I agree with Julie....update!! :)