Sunday, October 7, 2007

Truck stop coffee

At work tonight we were out of coffee, so on the verge of a caffeine headache, I went to the vending machine to get some. Vending machine coffee isn't my favorite by any means but while it was "brewing" the smell brought back a memory (don't that say that smell is the sense that is most likely to trigger memories?).

Anyway while I was standing there wearily, anxiously awaiting the piping hot paper cup of instant energy, I was transported (in my mind), to a random gas station we must have stopped in on the cross country trip. For some reason no coffee tastes as good to me as the coffee you get on a road trip regardless of whether it's from a gas station, truck stop or a continental breakfast. It's especially tasty after hours of sitting in car when your back hurts and your brain is a little fuzzy when you know that that little cup of Java is the magic potion that will get you a couple hours closer to your destination.

Something in me was instantly excited to jump in the car next month and head west, reminding me of how much I love road trips to Cali. It's not just the coffee or sleeping in hotels (I love sleeping in hotels- seriously. By this stage in the game I can give you a list of "must stays" and "don't even think about stayings") but also the anticipation of the unexpected things to come. While I'm going to my parents house, where everything is very familiar, each time I return to So. Cal. it's like going somewhere for the first time- again. I expect this time will be the same.

Needless to say my vending machine coffee hit the spot!

2 Comments:

LauraJoy said...

I am glad you are excited for the trip. I know the planning is overwhelming, but I love a good cross-country drive too and can't wait to go on this one with you!
By the way, I think the La Quinta in Amarillo is on the top of my "do not stay" list! :)

Bethany said...

Actually the new official rule is don't stop anywhere in Amarillo texas! You're better off to take some vivarin and head toward New Mexico!