Saturday, November 17, 2007

Back to Work

I went back to work at San Antonio this past Wednesday. It's a little odd to start a contract mid-week, but the hospital was agreeable to it and the extra days to adjust to the time change and catch up on sleep were great.


The reception I received when I got there was amazing. A lot of the my co-workers didn't know I was coming back. I usually go visit when I get into town, before I start, but didn't this time. When I got to the floor, my friend Julie said "It is you!!!" And a group of people came over to give me a hug. My name had shown up on the staffing sheet, some were a little skeptical as to whether the staffing sheet was actually correct, or if there was another Bethany Smith starting.
San Antonio is just a fraction of the size of LGH. And everyone knows everyone, or at least knows who they are. All of critical care is viewed as one unit, even though it is really comprised of 4 telemetry floors, an ICU and a CCU. Because of that, it's not uncommon for nurses to get pulled of their home floor to fill holes, even in ICU/CCU, so there is a lot of camaraderie between units. Even as a traveler I have to take my turn floating various places. I was so blessed when people from other floors came up and said "I heard you were back, I just wanted to say hi."

My first week back I felt like I was fumbling around trying to get back into the routine. I was offered orientation, but declined (the funny part was, I was technically supposed to have it. Lora, one of the nurse managers, came to me before my second night back and said that the educators weren't to happy with her, could I fill out my orientation packet and have a co-worker sign as my preceptor. We laughed at the ridiculousness of it). Bouncing from one hospital to the next can sorta leave you in a fog. I was frequently asking "do you guys _____ (fill in the blank) or was that at my other hospital?" Most people just laughed and told me I had been gone too long. Each night got progressively better.
After three nights in a row and little sleep I am exhausted! I got up early today to go with my Mom and Sister to the Gap (friends and family day = BIG discounts. I was good and only used my dollars for long sleeved tee's to go under my scrubs) and then went to the gym. I'm so tired that I think I my be hallucinating because I think I hear my bed calling me. I'm going to go look into it right now!
Miss you all!!!

1 Comment:

Julie Garner said...

Just popping on to say Happy Thanksgiving and that I'm glad you're first week back at work wasn't horrible. See, you are loved no matter where you go. Who couldn't love ya?! :)

Well, I miss you. Hope you had a great day with family today.

Love ya!
Julie