Sunday, April 1, 2007

Day 3- Central Coast




























If you're just tuning in now, start with Day 1 and read to Day 3- It will make more sense- promise!

Saturday-
A large portion of the day was spent in the car but it was WELL worth it! Our plan was to leave the house and head to Central Coast Cali at 8am. The montero was going to be packed with me, Mel, Jamie, April and Sheli. We actually left closer to 915.... but whose keeping track.

The first stop on our trip up the coast was to be Hearst Castle. After the drive full of grid lock traffic, amazing views, bathroom stops and lunch at In&Out Burger we got to the visitor center of the castle at 300pm only to be told that getting tickets to the castle was going to be hard, they had been sold out since 1245pm. When were about to leave the ticket desk, a party of five canceled their reservations. we would have to split up 3 and 2 and take different buses up but would able to see the castle. I didn't know much about William R. Hearst before but am now close to fascinated by his life! I don't want to bore you with the story of him but his "castle" is cool. It sits up on a hill overlooking the ocean. You can see miles and miles from the from terrace. In fact, Hearst Castle sits on over 300sq miles of land that the Hearst family still owns (if I understood correctly). The house was ornate to say the least.

After the castle we went across the street to what my sister and I call the "white bridge." Its really a pier and you've seen pictures of it before after my last trip to Central Coast, but it's still just as pretty so I took more pictures:-)

About 15miles up the coast is a part of the beach where the elephant seals come and lay in the sun for the day. I'm exactly sure of the reason that they only go to this particular part of the beach, but I think it has something to do with the tide. You would think that we have never seen seals before! It was the coolest thing!! Seals are really cute in real life especially when they're trying to make their way down to the water. We stayed and took tons of pictures but wanted to get up to a place called Ragged Point before sunset.

After stopping several times to take coastal pictures we made it to Ragged Point. My sisters and I indulged in a very over priced latte with Godiva chocolate in it (very tasty!) More picture taking ensued (again, some of the pictures my look familiar from a previous post). It was even more beautiful this time then the first time I went. The sun was setting to the west and when we turned around, the moon was just beginning to come over the mountains. We all tried to get pictures of it, but you can't do justice to that kind of beauty! The marine layer was rolling in so everything started to have a "mystical" look to it. After sunset, we drove up the coast a little further before turning around, with a 5 hour trip home ahead of us.

We eventually made it back to good 'ole Upland around 215am after stopping at Taco Temple in Morro bay for dinner, bathroom/gas stops, driver changes, about 45 minutes of unexpected gridlock traffic (traffic at 1am??? Only in LA) and a roadside stop to see if a girl who appeared stranded needed help (she didn't). Once at home, there were a few incomprehensible sounds that I think were "goodnight"s but I'm not quite sure.

Today (Sunday) was laid back, church and lunch before heading to the airport. (One of the things we with lunch was Bionicos. It deserves mention in a post, maybe even its' own post, but, quite frankly, I'm exhausted. And eating it right now sounds a whole lot better to me then writing about it).
I had a little difficulty getting some of my favs up.... but I hope you enjoy the picts I posted. If you want to see the whole "collection" (and trust me there are tons of photos) I'll be more then happy to show you my ever expanding Cali photo album:-)
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!

0 Comments: